Sunday, January 25, 2015

#120 - Random Acts of Kindness

Stopped at the turnpike to parkway toll booth on my way home from Seven Springs, with a slight need to pee, a car two in front of me spent an inordinate amount of time at the cash only pay booth. My anger rising due to impatience, I watched one, two, maybe three minutes tick by. A small fraction of my day but in these modern times we get frustrated if a website takes longer than 2 seconds to load and expect a Chai Mocha Soy Latte with a double twist and a side car of espresso to be done in under 3 minutes, 3 minutes at a toll booth feels like an eternity.

I watched two people run dollars up to the car and finally it pulled away.  I had my fiver ready to go when I pulled to the toll booth, expecting a frustrated state employee wanting to shuffle the line through. 'Sorry about the wait. That was awesome, two random acts of kindness! That car gave them a buck, and that car gave them a buck!' The transaction occurred; I got my quarter. 'Have a great night!' he said, without a trace of cynicism or irony. Someone who sees the best and the worst the world has to offer still manages to stay positive.


<35mm>

No comments:

Post a Comment